Friday, January 13, 2012

Ever wonder what a neuroscientist looks like?  Well here you go.  (She's the one on the left)  This is Dr. Adriana Galvan, our speaker at today's session.  While she appears to be about 21 years old, the pages and pages listing her many publications, as well as her position as an associate professor and researcher at the Brain Research Institute at UCLA, are pretty sure signs that she's older than she looks!  Dr. Galvan is obviously brilliant, but also had a wonderful way of explaining very complex information to us in a way that was easy to understand.  She presented some of the research that she and her colleagues have been doing on adolescent brain development, and did it in such a way that none of us was ready for the day to end when 3:00 rolled around. 

My problem now, is figuring out how to "capture" what I learned- while it is fresh in my mind.  Dr. Galvan talked mostly about the research she has been doing regarding adolescents and risk-taking.  She also touched upon how the new information about the adolescent brain is creating a need for policy changes- particularly in regard to the juvenile justice system.

I had a number of "ahas" today!  Not only did I learn a lot from Dr. Galvan, but I felt very affirmed regarding how much I know!  I actually understood what she was saying!  It made perfect sense, and provided me with further depth- and better ways of explaining the brain to others.  I am very excited to go back and incorporate what I learned into my classes and workshops!  

So---  before I turn the lights off tonight, my plan is to read through my notes- from the first page to the last.  I'm going to made additional notes in the margins- and compose questions that come to mind to ask of the group tomorrow.  Then, I'll set my notebook aside and go to sleep, knowing that my brain will continue working on consolidating my learning--- while I'm sound asleep. 

Tomorrow- we'll hear from Dr. Jeb Schenk, an educator and author who will provide us with additional information about the adolescent brain, but from a different perspective.  Can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. I love having ahas moments. I can't wait to hear some of the things you have learned about the adult brain in class. I find the brain really interesting and how everything works together. I am happy to hear you are having a great time.
    Tamara Melde

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that I have the same problem you do....how to keep the information you have just learned and are excited about, in the front of your brain, so you can share it with as much excitement as you learned about it. I always find that I left out something, and have to go back and share more...and then more...and then more! I know my coworkers are used to this by now, but would love to try to remember it all the first time!

    ReplyDelete