Tuesday, May 22, 2012

North Cedar Elementary, Cedar Falls

I had the opportunity to visit a school today- North Cedar Elementary in Cedar Falls.  The reason for my visit was to learn more about a program that the school has implemented, called The Leader in Me.  It's a program based on Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  The 7 Habits have been taught and infused into every aspect of the school's curriculum and culture. 

I knew that I would see great teaching- and great students- in a great school, (I had visited a few years ago), but what I saw today took my breath away!  I think the best way to share what I saw and heard, is to copy and paste the e-mail I sent to Jen Hartman, the principal, following my visit. 

May 22, 2012

Hi Jen,

Where do I begin?  First, thank you for being so welcoming to me- on such short notice! Making the visit to North Cedar was exactly what I needed in order to get a “feel” for The Leader in Me in action. 

I knew that I would see great teachers at work… with great kids… in a wonderful learning environment.  That’s what I have known existed at North Cedar for many years.  However, what I saw and heard today really did blow me away!  Your school exemplifies excellence in every way.

The physical environment:  shiny, clean, uncluttered, orderly, attractive…   and so very welcoming!  I took note of everything that was on the walls- in classrooms and in hallways- as I know that what is displayed sends a clear message to visitors about what a school is “all about”.  I saw the 7 Habits everywhere- in so many different formats!  It’s pretty easy to tell that The Leader in Me is infused throughout North Cedar!  In addition, every single thing that appears on your walls carries a positive message.  It just makes one feel good to be at North Cedar!  I was particularly impressed with the many examples of student work that were displayed--- and in almost every case, I could find a connection to the 7 Habits!  Your teachers are brilliant in the way they weave those habits into everything they do!  I especially loved the display on Presidents-  the Birth Announcement to Tombstone idea, and I just smiled when I read, in very small writing on one of the posters,  “Do you think any of these men began with the end in mind?  Do you think they wanted to become President from the time they were young?  Do YOU want to become President?”   Again-  brilliant!

North Cedar is obviously a very safe and orderly environment.  I was impressed by the way both staff and students interacted with me- and with each other.  Students in the hallways were purposefully making their way around---  were very polite to me- a visitor- and were anxious to help when I asked for directions, or had questions about their school.  Staff members were incredibly welcoming to me, as well.  You can tell that they are used to having visitors drop in.  Not once was I made to feel as though my presence was an inconvenience to them.

I noted in several classrooms, what I read about in The Leader in Me book-  teachers masterfully weaving the 7 Habits into their existing curriculum.  I heard teachers talk about synergizing, win-win, think first, etc.  and I heard students respond by using the language of the 7 Habits.   Data notebooks were explained to me by two first grade girls, and they did a wonderful job!  What was really interesting to me was how they “negotiated” the sharing.    One said, “How should we do this?  Should we take turns?”  (They were asking this of each other- not of me-  I was just the listener)  The girls shared responsibility for explaining- and were so very polite to one another.

I talked to students at several grade levels- asking them to talk about the 7 Habits- and in every case, the students could do it-  from Kindergartners in Art class, to 6th graders- and everyone in-between.  They were knowledgeable, articulate, and seemed genuinely pleased to answer my questions.  It was easy to tell that they have a great deal of pride in themselves and their school-  and that they do indeed “feel” like leaders!

OK, are you bored yet?  Sorry, I’ve got more…  

Your teachers-  again, Excellence.  In every classroom that I visited, students were fully engaged in the learning activities.  More often than not, I saw teachers facilitating learning “on the side” rather than directing learning “from the stage.”  The positive relationships that teachers have developed with students is evident.  Teachers treat students with a great deal of respect, and students treat teachers with respect.  In every case, it appeared to me that the students understood WHY they were engaging in each lesson- and were truly interested in the classroom activities.  I also saw- over and over again- the use of brain-compatible teaching practices,  classroom cultures built on the science of human motivation, and some of the best examples ever of the Iowa Core’s Characteristics of Effective Instruction.  (What I always say, is that these CEI- because they are based on the science of learning- provide the right “cognitive conditions for learning.”  North Cedar is a showcase for those cognitive conditions.)

I could go on and on.  I know that you and your staff are proud of what you have built at North Cedar.  You have good reason to be.  I just wish that more educators could see what I saw this morning- and hear from your teachers and students-  It really is amazing.

Again, thank you so much for allowing me to roam your halls.  Your willingness to allow me that freedom speaks to the confidence  and pride that you have in your staff.  You KNEW that what I would see and hear would be perfectly aligned to the values that were displayed on all of your walls.  Please share these thoughts with your staff.  Visiting North Cedar has given me a good deal of hope- because I can see what is possible…   (And… it made me realize how much I miss being a classroom teacher!)  Teachers like yours are true heroes-  leaders---- and I want to “be like them!”

WOW!     Julie Crotty 


No comments:

Post a Comment